Thanks to their style and energy efficiency, Teslas are a prized possession for many owners. Maintaining an interior cleaning routine can improve the hygiene of your car interior and preserve your Teslas showroom looks. If you own a Tesla, you might want to know just what a proper interior clean entails.
Here’s how you can clean the interior of your Tesla:
- Vacuum all areas inside your Tesla.
- Wipe down all surfaces with a cleaning solution.
- Clean the camera with clean water.
- Wipe down the car’s touchscreen with a microfiber cloth.
- Use a window cleaner for the interior glass.
If you’re a proud Tesla owner, you should take the time to make sure that your interior stays fresh and inviting. Here’s a complete guide on how to make your Tesla interior shine with these five essential tips.
- 1. Vacuum All Areas Inside Your Tesla
- 2. Wipe Down All Surfaces With a Cleaning Solution
- 3. Clean the Camera With Clean Water
- 4. Wipe Down the Car’s Touchscreen With a Microfiber Cloth
- 5. Use a Window Cleaner for the Interior Glass
- How To Clean The Vegan Leather Seats in a Tesla Interior
- 3. Treating Stains
- How To Clean Tesla Seat Covers
- What Shouldn’t You Clean in Your Tesla?
- Freshening Up the Inside of Your Tesla
- A Quick Summary of Cleaning Your Tesla’s Interior
- Can I Take My Tesla To A Car Wash?
- What is Tesla Car Wash Mode?
1. Vacuum All Areas Inside Your Tesla
To begin cleaning the interior of your Tesla, use a handheld vacuum cleaner to vacuum the seats and floor mats.
Before vacuuming, use a soft brush to loosen and dust off areas that can’t be vacuumed, like the dashboard or the pedals. Brush the dust onto the floor or seats and then vacuum it up.
When vacuuming the inside of your Tesla, be sure to use the rug setting on your vacuum machine. Run it at its gentlest setting so you don’t damage the seats and rugs in your Tesla.
2. Wipe Down All Surfaces With a Cleaning Solution
After vacuuming your Tesla’s interiors, spray a microfiber cloth with a cleaning solution. It’s best to use a non-detergent cleaning solution manufacturers designed specifically for cars. You should then gently wipe down all surfaces with the microfiber cloth.
Tesla’s cleaning instructions recommend using a non-detergent cleaner to wipe down your Tesla. One of the best cleaning solutions for cars is the Chemical Guys Total Interior Cleaner (available on Amazon.com).
The manufacturers created a deep cleaning formula that’s still gentle on your Teslas interior and protects from sun and dust damage.
To wipe down the surfaces, follow these steps:
- Spot-check the formula you are using on an inconspicuous area to ensure that it isn’t damaging the surface you’re cleaning.
- Spray a microfiber cloth with the cleaning solution and gently rub it in circles across the surface you’re cleaning.
- Allow the surface time to dry and repeat the above steps if necessary.
You can use this method to clean a variety of surfaces in your Tesla, including:
- The seatbelts. Gently extend the seatbelts when wiping them down.
- The seats. It’s essential to clean your seats immediately if you spill something on them. However, you should note that seat stains can also come from dye transfer from clothing and grass stains.
- The doors and handles. These tend to get dirtier than other areas because people consistently handle them. It would be best to clean these surfaces more than once.
Be sure to change the microfiber cloth each time you switch to a different surface not to transfer dirt. After all, your surfaces are only as clean as the cloth that you’re using!
3. Clean the Camera With Clean Water
To clean your Tesla camera, spray water onto the camera lens using a clean spray bottle and clean water. Allow the camera lens to dry, and then respray it if necessary. If your Tesla camera is dirty, it may impact the car’s autopilot function.
When cleaning your Tesla camera, you should remember not to rub the camera lens with a cloth. Rubbing at the camera can damage the lens and impact its ability to pick up its surroundings.
If your camera lens is dirty, your Tesla may send you an alert regarding obstruction of its view.
4. Wipe Down the Car’s Touchscreen With a Microfiber Cloth
The Tesla touchscreen is a favorite feature as it allows you to direct and control many of the car’s primary functions. To clean the touchscreen, activate the Screen Cleaning Mode on your Tesla. Then, use a lint-free cloth to wipe down the screen, rubbing it in gentle circles.
Here’s how you can remove dust, smudges, and even minor scratches from your Tesla touchscreen:
- Activate the Clean Screen Mode on your Tesla’s touchscreen. You can do this by going into the Controls and then the Display Menu. Activating this mode will ensure that you don’t accidentally hit any functions and allow you to see smudges better.
- Use a soft cloth to wipe down the touch screen, rubbing it in circular motions to lift the smudges. It’s best to use a cloth that has been designed to clean LCD Screens as some cloths may be abrasive.
- Once the screen is clean, exit the Clean Screen Mode. You can do this by pressing the Hold to Exit function.
You can also check this video from YouTube to enable touch screen cleaning mode on Tesla:
5. Use a Window Cleaner for the Interior Glass
To clean the glass on the Tesla, you should use a streak-free glass cleaner made with natural materials. It would be best to spray the cleaner on the glass and then use a microfiber cloth to wipe down the glass.
Follow these steps to clean the Tesla’s interior glass:
- Spot test a window cleaner on your Tesla glass to ensure your chosen cleaner is gentle and effective.
- Once your window cleaner has passed its test, spray it across the interior glass.
- Use a microfiber cloth to wipe it down.
- Allow the cleaner to dry naturally.
It’s essential to ensure that you are using a microfiber cloth because it can cause streaks that affect your visibility when driving.
If you would like to find out How To Spray Water on a Tesla Model 3 Windshield, check out this helpful article that I wrote.
How To Clean The Vegan Leather Seats in a Tesla Interior
Cleaning vegan leather seats in a Tesla requires a few simple steps to ensure they are properly maintained and stay looking their best. Here’s a detailed guide on how to clean the vegan leather seats in your Tesla:
1. Gather the Necessary Supplies
To get started, you’ll need a microfiber towel, an interior cleaner suitable for vegan leather, a super cleaner, a soft-bristle brush, and a spray bottle filled with water.
2. Preparing The Interior
Before you begin cleaning the seats, make sure the interior of your Tesla is free from any loose dirt or debris. You can use a soft brush or a microfiber towel to gently wipe down the surfaces, including the wheel covers, interior accessories, steering wheel, and console.
3. Treating Stains
If you notice any stains on your vegan leather seats, it’s essential to address them before proceeding with the overall cleaning process.
Take a small amount of the interior cleaner suitable for vegan leather and apply it to a microfiber towel. Gently rub the stained area in a circular motion until the stain begins to fade.
Avoid applying excessive pressure, as it may damage the surface. Once the stain is removed or significantly reduced, proceed to the next step.
4. Cleaning The Seats
Now, it’s time to clean the vegan leather seats. Spray a small amount of the interior cleaner onto a microfiber towel or directly onto the seat.
Begin wiping the seats in a gentle, circular motion, working your way from one section to another. Be sure to cover the entire seat surface, including the sides and backrests.
Repeat this process until all the seats have been thoroughly cleaned.
5. Removing Stubborn Dirt
If you encounter any stubborn dirt or grime that is not easily removed with the interior cleaner, you can utilize a super cleaner (check that it is safe to use on vegan leather!). Apply a small amount of the super cleaner to a microfiber towel and gently scrub the affected areas.
The super cleaner is designed to tackle tougher stains and dirt, but be cautious not to use too much or scrub too hard, as it may damage the vegan leather. Always test the super cleaner on a small, inconspicuous area before applying it to the entire seat.
6. Drying the Seats
After cleaning, use a dry microfiber towel to wipe away any excess moisture from the seats. Ensure that the seats are completely dry before moving on to the next step.
7. Conditioning the Vegan Leather
To maintain the longevity and suppleness of the vegan leather seats, it’s recommended to condition them every few months. Look for a vegan leather conditioner specifically designed for automotive use. Avoid products for genuine leather, as these can damage your vegan leather in the long run.
Apply a small amount of the conditioner to a microfiber towel and gently massage it into the seats, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Conditioning the seats helps prevent cracking and keeps them looking vibrant.
Remember, it’s important to use products specifically formulated for vegan leather to avoid damaging the material. Brands like Car Guys and Tesla’s own line of interior cleaning products are good options to consider. Additionally, always follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the cleaning products you choose.
By following these steps, you can effectively clean your Tesla’s vegan leather seats and keep them looking clean and fresh. Regular cleaning and maintenance will help extend the life of the seats and maintain their appearance over time.
How To Clean Tesla Seat Covers
If you have seat covers placed over the original seats in your Tesla, cleaning them is slightly different. Here’s a guide on how to clean Tesla seat covers specifically:
- Remove the seat covers: Begin by carefully removing the seat covers from your Tesla’s seats. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions or any specific guidelines provided with the seat covers to ensure proper removal.
- Check the care instructions: Seat covers come in various materials, such as neoprene, polyester, or faux leather. It’s important to refer to the care instructions provided by the manufacturer for the specific type of seat covers you have. This will help you determine the best cleaning method and any restrictions or recommendations.
- Shake off loose dirt: Take the seat covers outside or to a well-ventilated area and gently shake them to remove any loose dirt or debris. This step helps get rid of surface-level dust and particles.
- Spot clean stains: If you notice any stains on the seat covers, you can spot clean them using a mild detergent mixed with water. Dampen a soft cloth or sponge with the soapy solution and gently blot the stained area. Avoid rubbing vigorously, as it may damage the material. Once the stain is lifted, use a clean cloth dampened with plain water to rinse the spot. Blot with a dry cloth to remove excess moisture and let the seat covers air dry.
- Machine wash (if applicable): For seat covers that are machine washable, follow the care instructions provided by the manufacturer. Typically, you’ll need to place the seat covers in a washing machine on a gentle cycle using a mild detergent. Use cold or lukewarm water, and avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals. After washing, let the seat covers air dry or follow the specific instructions regarding drying methods.
- Hand wash or wipe down (if applicable): If your seat covers are not machine washable, you can hand wash them or wipe them down using a damp cloth or sponge and a mild detergent. Gently scrub the surface, paying extra attention to any soiled areas. Rinse with clean water and remove excess moisture with a dry cloth. Allow the seat covers to air dry completely.
- Reinstall the seat covers: Once the seat covers are fully dry, carefully reinstall them onto your Tesla’s seats. Ensure a proper fit and alignment according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Remember to always refer to the care instructions provided by the seat cover manufacturer for specific cleaning recommendations.
What Shouldn’t You Clean in Your Tesla?
You shouldn’t clean the upper surfaces of your dashboard as the reflective sheen may impair your visibility when driving. You should also avoid the airbag and seat belt mechanisms. Liquid and detergents may affect these vital components’ functionality and render your vehicle unsafe to drive.
Here’s the breakdown of why you shouldn’t clean these areas:
- Airbags. You should be very careful to ensure that no liquid goes into the airbag area of your Tesla. If liquids or even solid debris enters the airbag area, your airbags can be prevented from deploying.
- Dashboard surfaces. Tesla recommends that you don’t polish the dashboard surfaces as they can become reflective, which hinders your visibility while driving.
- Seat Belt mechanisms. While you can clean the seatbelts, you should make sure no liquid enters the interior of the seat belt mechanism.
If you realize that liquid has gone into your airbag area or seat belt mechanism or notice that they aren’t working correctly, you should bring your Tesla to an expert for repair. Don’t continue driving your Tesla as its safety functions would be severely compromised.
Freshening Up the Inside of Your Tesla
Once you finish thoroughly cleaning your Tesla, you may want to install an air freshener into your Tesla to make it smell fresh.
Check out this related and helpful article that I wrote about the 3 Best Air Fresheners for Tesla Model 3.
The S3XYWORLD Tesla Model 3 air freshener is an air freshener capsule that can hold scent sticks which you may then slide into the side of your Tesla. It has a beautifully fresh scent with citrus, pine, and amber notes.
Meanwhile, the YONZEE Tesla Model 3 Oil Sticks offer natural essential oils designed to fit into the air freshener holder. This freshener is a great choice because the natural plant botanicals purify the air without overwhelming drivers with their scent.
How Often Should You Clean Your Tesla’s Interior?
Maintaining a regular cleaning routine prevents debris and dirt build-up and prevents bacterial growth in your car’s interior.
Dirt and environmental contaminants can build up over time and abrade your interior surfaces which also may affect your resale value.
Pro Tip: How can you get under the wipers when washing your Tesla?
Windshield Wiper Service Mode allows you to freely move the windshield wipers across the windshield; therefore, you will get better access to the bottom part of the windshield panel for better cleaning.
A Quick Summary of Cleaning Your Tesla’s Interior
|Area||Steps to take||Precautions|
|All areas||Vacuum all areas using a handheld vacuum.||Use a gentle vacuuming cycle.|
|All areas||Wipe down all surfaces with a microfiber cloth.||Make sure you’re using a non-detergent solution to clean the surfaces.|
|Camera||Spray the camera with clean water.||Don’t rub at the camera.|
|Tesla’s touchscreen||Use a microfiber cloth to clean the touchscreen.||Remember to activate Tesla’s Safe Cleaning Mode.|
|Interior glass||Use a streak-free window cleaner and microfiber cloth to wipe down the interior glass.||Be sure not to get streaks on the glass as this can impact visibility as you drive.|
Can I Take My Tesla To A Car Wash?
You can take your Tesla to a car wash, but there are important considerations to keep in mind to protect your vehicle and prevent potential damage.
If you choose to use an automatic car wash, it is recommended to opt for touchless car washes. Touchless car washes do not have any parts, such as brushes, that physically touch the surfaces of your Tesla, minimizing the risk of scratches or damage to your Tesla’s paint.
However, it’s important to be cautious even with touchless car washes, as some may use caustic solutions that, over time, could lead to discoloration of decorative exterior trim.
To avoid potential issues, it’s advisable to stay away from soaps and chemicals with a pH level above 13. If you’re uncertain about the products used in a particular car wash, you can check the product label or consult the staff at the car wash for clarification.
It’s crucial to note that any damage caused by improper washing, including the use of unsuitable products, is not covered by the warranty.
When using an automatic car wash, it’s essential to ensure that your Tesla is locked before the process begins. This precaution helps prevent any accidental opening of doors or trunks during the car wash, which could lead to damage of your interior and electronics.
Be cautious not to use any controls on the touchscreen that may result in unintended door or trunk openings while the vehicle is being washed. Remember that any damage caused by such actions is not covered by the warranty.
By following these guidelines and taking the necessary precautions, you can safely take your Tesla to a car wash. However, it’s important to note that some Tesla owners prefer to wash their vehicles manually using specialized cleaning products and techniques to have more control over the process and minimize the risk of damage. Ultimately, the choice between automatic car washes and manual washing depends on your personal preference and comfort level.
What is Tesla Car Wash Mode?
Tesla Car Wash Mode is a convenient feature available in Tesla vehicles, including the Model 3, that aims to streamline the car wash experience while safeguarding the vehicle’s components.
By activating Car Wash Mode, certain functions are automatically adjusted to prevent potential damage and ensure a smooth car wash process.
When Car Wash Mode is enabled, it initiates several actions.
First, it closes all windows and locks the charge port, ensuring that these vulnerable areas are protected during the car wash.
Additionally, it disables specific features such as windshield wipers, Sentry Mode, walk-away door locking, and parking sensor chimes. By deactivating these functionalities, potential issues like unnecessary wiper activation, false alerts from parking sensors, and unintended door handle extensions are avoided.
To enable Car Wash Mode, you can navigate to the touchscreen menu by touching Controls, then selecting Service, and finally tapping on Car Wash Mode.
It’s important to note that your Tesla vehicle must be stationary and not actively charging for the Car Wash Mode to activate.
If you opt for an automatic car wash, Tesla offers an additional feature called Enable Free Roll. This feature keeps your vehicle in Neutral and enables free roll during the car wash.
It also prevents the application of the parking brake if you happen to leave the driver’s seat during the process. To activate Enable Free Roll, you can press on the brake pedal and touch the option on the touchscreen, or simply shift into Neutral.
It’s worth mentioning that Car Wash Mode automatically disables if your vehicle’s speed exceeds 9 mph (15 km/h). Additionally, you can manually deactivate it by touching the “Exit” button on the touchscreen.
It’s crucial to follow the guidance and put your Model 3 in Car Wash Mode to avoid any potential damage, such as to the charge port or windshield wipers.
It’s important to note that damage caused by car washes is not covered by the warranty, so utilizing Car Wash Mode is an essential precautionary measure to protect your Tesla during the cleaning process.
Check out these 20 great gift ideas for yourself or a Tesla fanboy.
Contact Us if you have any questions or queries.