Attention all Tesla owners! Are you tired of the plain and boring license plates on your electric vehicle? Well, have no fear because I’ve scoured the internet to bring you the most clever, funny, and unique personalized license plate ideas for your Tesla.
But before we dive into the ideas, did you know that a Rhode Island judge once allowed a Tesla owner to keep his license plate that read “FKGAS”? The owner argued that the plate was a nod to the electricity used to charge his Tesla, which he dubbed “fake gas”. Now that’s one creative and witty Tesla owner.
So, whether you want to make a statement about the environment, poke fun at gas-guzzling cars, or just show off your love for Tesla, we’ve got you covered with over 100 personalized license plate ideas that will make your EV stand out on the road. Let’s get started!
- Best Tesla Personalized License Plate Ideas
- Most Common and Popular Tesla Vanity Plates
- Best Tesla Vanity Plates
- Laws in Each State Regarding Personalised Number Plates for EVs
- Clever Word Play in Tesla Personalized License Plates
- More Tesla Plate Name Ideas and Options
- Legal Requirements for Personalized License Plates
Best Tesla Personalized License Plate Ideas
Some of the Tesla personalized plate ideas out there are simply genius. It makes you realize that Tesla owners aren’t just environmentally conscious but also quite witty.
I have compiled a list of seven of the best tesla license plate ideas, along with a brief explanation of each one.
|FKGAS||This one was so controversial, that the Tesla owner needed a court order to help him keep it. He says it translates to fake gas, but it can also allude to other terms that degrade gas as an energy source. Pure genius.|
|KSMYGAS||Yet another knockout blow against gas. This one is also right on the edge of crossing into vulgar territory. It will rile up some ICE users and draw laughs from fellow Tesla owners.|
|REVOLT||This one has a double meaning. It signifies what you do when your car’s out of juice. It also defines the movement against gas power.|
|ZEROMPG||Trying to stick it to the miles per gallon enthusiasts? Well, this is the personalized Tesla plate for you.|
|ACDCCD||This one’s rather clever as it refers to the different types of electric current associated with Tesla. You charge with AC, and the battery stores and utilizes DC.|
|ELONOIL||Elinoil is a petroleum company based in Greece. As we do not need petroleum, we use Elon-Oil. Clean energy from Elon Musk.|
|LOL OIL||Simple yet effective. It’s becoming laughable that people are still reluctant to switch to Teslas. Let your personalized Tesla plate spread the message.|
Most Common and Popular Tesla Vanity Plates
Tesla owners can be quite creative with their vanity plates, but some are so good that you’ll see them in almost every state you visit.
The most common and popular Tesla Vanity plates are in no way boring. Tesla owners love them because they are fun and a tad provocative to ICEs.
Check out these fun EV license plate ideas:
|END OIL||The message is pretty straightforward, isn’t it? Prepare for some mean looks from ICE motorists if they can catch up.|
|RIP OIL||Everybody knows that EVs are the future. Keep reminding them with your Tesla vanity plate.|
|NIKOLA||We are driving Teslas because of the tireless and innovative work of Nikola Tesla. |
He wouldn’t mind an appreciation on the plate of your Tesla.
|CH4RGED||Tesla keeps advancing with its charging technology, so there’s little chance that you’ll run out of juice. Let them know that your batteries are full.|
|AMPD-UP||This plate lets them know that you’ve got plenty of juice in your tank. You know, just in case they think they’re faster off the line.|
|CLN PWR||Announce to the world that your Tesla is doing its part in conserving the environment.|
|ELECTRFD||Another popular one that shows yours is no ordinary car.|
Best Tesla Vanity Plates
In my opinion, below are the best Tesla vanity plates out there.
You don’t have to use them, but they can serve as inspiration for your unique Tesla vanity plates.
Check out these funny Tesla license plate ideas:
|WATTUP||Perhaps the most electrifying greeting out there. It can also serve as a call for people to move to electric vehicles – to trade their ICEs for Watt cars.|
|CHARGME||It shows people that your car uses electrical energy.|
|HIVLTG||You’ve been warned. That car has electricity running through it. Approach and touch at your own risk.|
|FARADAY||Like Nikola, Faraday contributed significantly to the understanding of electromagnetism. It’s because of innovators like him that we can drive Teslas today.|
|DURACEL||Duracell prides itself in building long-lasting batteries. Tesla batteries have proven to be quite long-lasting as well. Combine those two, and you get an epic vanity plate.|
|PWRPLNT||This plate takes pride in the tons of electrical power flowing through your Tesla. It’s a show-off vanity plate.|
|MARSNXT||This plate shows how far Tesla is technological. Tesla owners might be driving cars on the moon very soon.|
Has an idea inspired you? Maybe you need some more vainty plate ideas. Check out some more awesome plates on YouTube:
Laws in Each State Regarding Personalised Number Plates for EVs
Do you have a good vanity plate idea? How do you know if it is legal in your state?
States have differing rules regarding personalized number plates. I have analyzed each state’s laws and placed them in the following table.
|Alabama||The state allows up to seven-letter combinations.|
|Alaska||DMV prohibits combinations it deems offensive, vulgar, and illegal.|
|Arizona||Any plate combination is legal if approved by the state’s Motor Vehicle Division. The plate can have a maximum of seven characters.|
|Arkansas||The state allows for up to six characters plus a blank space. Offensive combinations will be rejected.|
|California||Any combination of letters and numbers between 2 to 7 characters. It mustn’t be offensive or owned by another person.|
|Colorado||Combination of letters between 2 to 7 characters. It mustn’t conflict with any other plate in the state.|
|Connecticut||The state allows up to seven numbers and letters without spacing. It allows one dot that can’t appear at the beginning or end of the plate.|
|Delaware||Plates must have between 2 to 7 characters. Numerals must be displayed to the right of all letters. Hyphens, ampersands, and spaces are the only punctuation marks allowed.|
|District of Columbia||The combination should contain up to seven characters, including spaces. Punctuations, symbols, and offensive combinations are prohibited.|
|Florida||Complete an application for a personalized license plate and pay an additional fee. The plate will be issued upon approval.|
|Georgia||It is issued upon payment of a fee on top of the regular registration fee and approval by the commissioner.|
|Hawaii||Law limits the plate to six letters. Space is counted as a letter. The punctuation mark allowed is the hyphen, which is considered a letter.|
|Idaho||The plate mustn’t exceed seven letters. The state can’t issue two similar plates.|
|Illinois||Personalized plates have both letters and numbers, with the numbers coming after the letters. For vanity plates, you should choose either numbers or letters.|
|Indiana||State laws only allow numbers and letters with not more than one consecutive space. Minimum of two characters.|
|Iowa||Plate combinations must not be issued to another driver. The number 0 is prohibited to prevent confusion with the letter O.|
|Kansas||Maximum of seven characters, including numbers, letters, and spaces. The number 0 is prohibited.|
|Kentucky||The state allows up to six characters and additional space or dash.|
|Louisiana||Only seven characters are allowed and must include two letters. Periods and hyphens are allowed as special characters.|
|Maine||The state allows any three-number and three-letter combination.|
|Maryland||The plate must have two to seven characters consisting of numbers or letters. The state can decline a plate if it already exists or carries an obscene message.|
|Massachusetts||The vanity plate must begin with two letters. Maximum of six characters. State disallows intermixing of letters and numbers.|
|Michigan||The plate ordered shouldn’t match an existing plate. A maximum of seven characters is allowed.|
|Minnesota||Plates are limited to seven characters. Numbers, spaces, and hyphens are allowed and the plate must have at least one letter.|
|Mississippi||The state allows one to pick their preferred combination of letters. The approving body will reject any obscene combination.|
|Missouri||The state decides whether to approve or reject the personalized configuration. It will reject any plate it considers offensive or contemptuous.|
|Montana||Maximum of seven characters, with at least two letters. Use of the letter O is prohibited. The state will reject indecent combinations.|
|Nebraska||DMV holds the power to reject or approve a vanity plate. The owner must provide meaning behind a plate while submitting their application.|
|Nevada||The state allows a minimum of four and a maximum of seven characters. It will reject offensive plates or plates already issued.|
|New Hampshire||The number of characters possible depends on plate design. Spaces cannot be used, but various special characters are legal. State disallows the use of more than two special characters.|
|New Jersey||The plate must have a minimum of three letters. The state allows a maximum of seven letters on the plate.|
|New Mexico||The state allows a maximum of six or seven characters depending on the plate design. Any combination is legal except for derogatory or duplicated combinations.|
|New York||Maximum of eight characters and a minimum of two. Requires approval from the DMV. The website will decline certain combinations per New York laws.|
|North Carolina||Different plate styles have differing maximum characters. The state will reject an offensive or duplicate combination.|
|North Dakota||The maximum number of characters depends on the plate design. The state allows for the use of spaces, letters, and numbers.|
|Ohio||Most plate designs allow for a maximum of six characters. The Bureau of Motor Vehicles has the final say on plate approval.|
|Oklahoma||The state imposes no length restrictions if the plate is on letters or if the plate is a combination of numbers and letters. A plate with numbers only is required to have seven numbers.|
|Oregon||Oregon law allows for personalized plates with a maximum of six characters along with a hyphen. The state will allow any combination so long as it isn’t derogatory.|
|Pennsylvania||State laws allow for a maximum of seven characters. You can use a hyphen or a space, but no other special. The hyphen and space are not considered one of the characters.|
|Rhode Island||Any mix of numbers and letters up to six characters. If you use letters only, you are restricted to a maximum of six and a minimum of two.|
|South Carolina||The state allows you to pick any combination of letters and numbers as long as it isn’t offensive.|
|South Dakota||The state allows for a minimum of one character and a maximum of seven. Each space counts as a character, and you can’t use special characters. Numerals 1 or 2 alone are disallowed.|
|Tennessee||The maximum number of characters varies with the model plate chosen. The maximum for any plate is seven characters.|
|Texas||Texas law prescribes that six-character plates have a minimum of one letter. Seven-character plates can have letters, numbers, or both. Texas law also allows for the use of symbols and spaces.|
|Utah||Utah law allows for a maximum of seven characters on the vanity plate, but some can only carry five. The licensing body will refuse to approve any offensive plate.|
|Vermont||The state only allows two numbers in combination with letters and prohibits the use of special characters. The laws forbid a plate that starts with the letter Z.|
|Virginia||Virginia law allows for plates with up to seven characters. The combination must not be offensive.|
|Washington||State laws allow for a maximum of seven characters. The state will recall or refuse to approve vulgar or indecent messages.|
|West Virginia||The minimum number of characters the law allows is two, and cannot be symbols or punctuation marks. You can add up to eight characters and your plate mustn’t carry an obscene message.|
|Wisconsin||The state allows a minimum of 1 and a maximum of seven characters. Numbers or capital letters are the only characters allowed.|
|Wyoming||Wyoming allows for a maximum of five characters on the plate. If the combination must have numbers only, the plate must start with the zero digit.|
Clever Word Play in Tesla Personalized License Plates
One of the most fun aspects of owning a Tesla is the ability to create a custom license plate that reflects your personality and sense of humor.
Many Tesla owners take advantage of this opportunity to showcase their love for electric cars and their environmental impact, and to poke fun at gasoline-powered cars.
Here are a few examples of clever word play in cool Tesla license plates:
Clever Word Play on Custom Plates
Many Tesla owners choose license plates that play off the brand’s notoriety, the electric vehicle market, and the gas prices.
Some examples of such a personalized vanity plate include:
- “VERTICALSCOPE” – a nod to the forum software
- “DARK MODE” – a nod to the new car feature
- “MODEL Y” – a nod to the latest Tesla model
- “GAS GUZZLERS” – a dig at gasoline-powered cars.
Clever Word Play on Delivery Day
Many Tesla owners also choose license plates that reflect their praise for electricity and their joy on delivery day.
Some examples of clever personalized tesla license plates include:
- “WATTUP” – a nod to the car’s electric power
- “AMPD-UP” – a nod to the charging capacity
- “CH4RGED” – a nod to the car’s battery capacity
- “CLN PWR” – a nod to the environmental impact of electric cars, “ELECTRFD” – a nod to the car’s electric drivetrain
- “ELONOILE” – a nod to the company’s founder and the light of oil dependence
- “LOL OIL” – a nod to the decreasing need for oil and the increasing popularity of EVs
- “ZEROMPG” – a nod to the car’s efficiency and lack of gas consumption
- “ACDCCD” – a nod to the different types of electric current associated with Tesla
- “KSMYGAS” – a nod to the ongoing debate about gasoline-powered cars
- “FKGAS” – a nod to the electricity used to charge the car.
Clever Word Play on HOV Lanes
Many Tesla owners also choose license plates that reflect their ability to use the HOV lanes, a perk of owning an electric car.
Some examples of such tesla personalized vanity license plates include:
- “HOV” – a nod to the car’s ability to use HOV lanes
- “EV” – a nod to the car’s electric drivetrain
- “ELEC” – a nod to the car’s electricity-powered drivetrain
- “EV ONLY” – a nod to the car’s exclusive use of HOV lanes
- “EV CAR” – a nod to the car’s electric drivetrain
- “EV LANE” – a nod to the car’s ability to use HOV lanes.
More Tesla Plate Name Ideas and Options
The list below includes some more vanity and custom plate options.
- AMPEDUP – Showing off the Tesla’s charging power
- BATTMAN – A play on the superhero Batman and the car’s battery
- CHARGE – A nod to the car’s electric charging capabilities
- COOLEV – A play on the phrase “cool” and the car’s electric drivetrain
- CURRENT – A nod to the car’s electric current and its modernity
- ELONAUT – A play on the name of Tesla’s CEO, Elon Musk, and astronaut
- ELONMUS – A nod to the car’s founder, Elon Musk
- ENERGY – A nod to the car’s source of power, electricity
- EVGEEK – A play on the car’s electric drivetrain and the term “geek”
- EVHERO – A play on the car’s electric drivetrain and the term “hero”
- EVONLY – A nod to the car’s exclusive use of electric power
- FASTEV – A play on the car’s speed and electric drivetrain
- FUTURE – A nod to the car’s role in the future of transportation
- GASBYE – A play on the car’s lack of dependence on gas
- GOGREEN – A nod to the car’s environmental impact
- GREENEV – A nod to the car’s environmentally friendly electric drivetrain
- GREEV – A play on the term “green” and “EV”
- HOVLANE – A nod to the car’s ability to use HOV lanes
- HYPER – A nod to the car’s speed and acceleration capabilities
- INNOV8 – A nod to the car’s innovative technology
- JOLTIN – A play on the term “jolt” and the car’s electric power
- JUICED – A nod to the car’s fully charged battery
- KILOWAT – A nod to the unit of power and the car’s electric power
- LITEV – A play on the term “lit” and the car’s electric drivetrain
- LIVING – A nod to the car’s eco-friendly lifestyle
- LOVINIT – A nod to the car’s loveable features
- LUCKEY – A nod to the car’s luxury and its capabilities
- MINDCAR – A nod to the car’s advanced technology
- MODEL3 – A nod to the Tesla Model 3
- MODELY – A nod to the Tesla Model Y
- MYTESLA – A nod to the owner’s personal connection to the car
- NERDYEV – A play on the car’s advanced technology and the term “nerdy”
- NEWENER – A nod to the car’s new energy source, electricity
- NOEMISS – A nod to the car’s lack of emissions
- NOGAS – A nod to the car’s lack of dependence on gas
- NOICE – A play on the phrase “that’s nice” and the car’s capabilities
- NOOIL – A nod to the car’s lack of dependence on oil
- NOPOLL – A nod to the car’s lack of pollution
- NOPOLLT – A nod to the car’s lack of pollution and its capabilities
- NOSMOG – A nod to the car’s lack of smog-producing emissions
- NOTGAS – A nod to the car’s lack of dependence on gas
- NOV8 – A nod to the car’s innovative technology
- OILFREE – A nod to the car’s lack of dependence on oil
- OILOFF – A nod to the car’s lack of dependence on oil
- OILOUT – A nod to the car’s lack of dependence on oil
- ONTHEDL – A nod to the car’s fast charging capabilities
- PIONEER – A nod to the car’s role in pioneering electric vehicles
- PLUGIN – A nod to the car’s electric charging capabilities
- POWERED – A nod to the car’s source of power, electricity
- QUIETEV – A nod to the car’s quiet electric drivetrain
- RENEWED – A nod to the car’s renewable energy source, electricity
- REVIVE – A nod to the car’s role in reviving the electric vehicle market
- ROLLING – A nod to the car’s smooth and effortless ride
- SMARTEV – A nod to the car’s advanced technology and intelligence
- SPEEDY – A nod to the car’s quick acceleration capabilities
- STELLAR – A nod to the car’s superior and outstanding features
- STILLEV – A nod to the car’s electric drivetrain and its longevity
- SUPER – A nod to the car’s superior and outstanding features
- TECHNO – A nod to the car’s advanced technology
- TESLAFAN – A nod to the car’s fan base and support
- TESLAFD – A nod to the car’s fire department themed license plate
- TESLAFRD – A nod to the car’s friend themed license plate
- TESLAGRL – A nod to the car’s girl themed license plate
- TESLAMOM – A nod to the car’s mom themed license plate
- TESLAMVP – A nod to the car’s most valuable player themed license plate
- TESLASR – A nod to the car’s senior themed license plate
- TESLATEC – A nod to the car’s technology themed license plate
- TESLATRD – A nod to the car’s traded themed license plate
- TESLATRD – A nod to the car’s trader themed license plate
- TESLATRV – A nod to the car’s traveler themed license plate
- TESLAVET – A nod to the car’s veteran themed license plate
- TESLAWIN – A nod to the car’s winner themed license plate
Legal Requirements for Personalized License Plates
When it comes to personalized license plates, it’s important to keep in mind that the rules and regulations for obtaining one can vary from state to state. Here is an overview of some of the key legal requirements that you should be aware of when applying for a personalized license plate:
State Specific Requirements for Car Plates
Each state has its own specific requirements for obtaining a personalized license plate. Some states may have specific guidelines on what types of characters or words are allowed on a license plate, while others may have restrictions on certain types of plates, such as vanity plates.
For example, some states may prohibit the use of profanity or offensive language on license plates, while others may have more lenient rules.
It’s important to check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to find out what specific requirements apply in your state.
Application Process for EV Plates
The application process for a personalized license plate also varies from state to state. In most cases, you will need to fill out an application form and pay a fee to the DMV.
In some states, you may be required to provide proof of ownership for your vehicle, such as a registration certificate. Some states also require you to submit a photograph of the proposed license plate design.
Wait Time for Tesla Owners
You should also be aware that the time it takes for your personalized license plate to be produced and issued can vary from state to state.
Some states may have a longer wait time than others, so it’s a good idea to plan ahead and apply for your plate well in advance.
Renewals of Custom Plates
Lastly, it’s important to be aware that personalized license plates typically need to be renewed on a regular basis, just like regular license plates.
The renewal process and fee will vary depending on the state, so it is important to check with your local DMV for more information.
Can I use personalized license plates on my Tesla in any state?
Is there a limit to the number of characters I can use on my personalized Tesla license plate?
Check out these 20 great gift ideas for yourself or a Tesla fanboy.
Contact Us if you have any questions or queries.