While you can fix any tire to your electric vehicle or EV, both theoretically and in practice, a growing number of automobile manufacturers are adapting their rubber to match the unique demands of plug-in cars.
The Continental Extreme Contact Tires are perhaps the most versatile tires available for today’s electric cars. These ultra-high-performance tires can be utilized in various conditions and give you a smooth ride no matter the season. However, there are other enticing options to choose from as well.
In this article, we’ll look at the best tires available for electric cars in 2022. We’ll also lay out the factors you should consider when selecting a specific tire. The information you see from here on will help you make an informed decision about what tires to buy for your EV.
- Factors Affecting The Choice of Tires
- Features of an Electric Car Tire
- Best Tires for Your Electric Car
- EV Speedy's Take
Electric cars are heavier than their gasoline counterparts and this added weight leads to additional tire wear and tear. As such, it’s imperative to choose a tire that gives you the ideal mileage per kilowatt-hour after a single charge.
Factors Affecting The Choice of Tires
The technology in electric cars reduces engine noise, pollution, maintenance charges, and operating expenses compared to combustion automobiles.
However, as mentioned already, a significant change in electric vehicles is the substantial increase in weight.
- The batteries in an EV are pretty hefty, and the added bulk increases the burden on the tires. This increased weight results in a longer braking distance, which reduces the lifespan of your tires.
- The engine torque on an electric vehicle can adversely affect your tires. On the one hand, the increased torque leads to rapid acceleration. However, this powerful, immediate torque puts additional pressure on the tires, resulting in higher wear and tear.
Would you like to find out How To Display Tire Pressure on Tesla Model 3? Then check out this related and informative article that I wrote.
Features of an Electric Car Tire
Normal tires could do the trick, but they aren’t built to deal with the mechanics of an electric vehicle.
- EVs require tires with more robust structures and durable rubber composition as they carry a bigger load and endure high immediate torque, leading to increased stress on the tires.
- Another essential feature of electric car tires is good grip strength to reduce the long braking distance caused due to higher mass and inertia.
- We require tires with a low friction coefficient to ensure a smoother, more eco-friendly, and low-impact ride.
- The tires also need to cushion noises as much as possible to go with the aesthetic of driving an electric car..
Now that you’re aware of what to look for in an electric car tire, let’s look at some of the best tires on the market.
By the way, I also wrote a somewhat related article titled: “Tesla Model Y Gemini vs. Induction Wheels: Which Is Better?“. I thought this might interest you. Check it out when you’re done here!
Best Tires for Your Electric Car
Tires for electric vehicles are available in various sizes and shapes depending on the climate or conditions you drive in.
This table displays some of the most popular EV tires on the market today. I have also provided a sample electric car beside each tire as an example of where you can use it.
|Electric Car Type||Tire Name||Type|
|Audi e-Tron||Michelin Pilot Sport||Summer Performer|
|Audi e-Tron||Pirelli Scorpion Winter||Winter Performer|
|Chevy Bolt||Michelin CrossClimate 2||Grand Touring All-Season|
|Chevy Bolt||Continental Extreme Contact||Ultra High-Performance All-Season|
|Ford Mustang Grand-E||Goodyear Eagle Touring||Grand Touring All-Season|
Let’s take a look at each of these tire models in greater detail.
1. Michelin Pilot Sport: Summer Performer
Michelin’s High-Performance All-Season tire, the Pilot Sport A/S 3 N-Spec, was created with Porsche for Panamera 4S, Panamera 4 E-Hybrid, and Panamera Turbo vehicles as an optional all-season tire suitable for electric cars.
The circumferential ribs and separate tread blocks are linked for stability to ensure confident handling.
2. Pirelli Scorpion Winter: Winter Performer
Pirelli’s Scorpion Winter Winter/ Snow tire was designed for powerful premium EV and sport utility vehicles.
Pirelli’s Ecoimpact symbols, stamped on the sidewalls, indicate the tire’s sustainable design in terms of the energy economy, reduced pollution, and minimal noise.
The Scorpion Winter has a tread rubber compound that incorporates a new polymer mix and a larger quantity of silica components. This design improves grip and handling which is essential when navigating roads during winter.
3. Michelin CrossClimate 2: Grand-Touring All-Season
The CrossClimate2 is Michelin’s Grand Touring All-Season tire designed for sedans, SUVs, and specific electric cars.
This model is ideal for drivers who want everyday driving comfort mixed with reliable performance in wet, dry, and light snow conditions.
Michelin’s Thermal Responsive all-season tread compound is shaped into a V-Formation pattern that’s efficient at navigating dry, wet, and wintry roads.
This model employs PIANO noise-reduction engineering which uses sophisticated technology to control airborne noise by enhancing tread components.
4. Continental Extreme Contact: High-Performance, All-Season
Continental’s ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS Ultra High-Performance All-Season tire was designed for operators of sports cars, electric cars, performance sedans, and SUVs.
The Extreme Contact is engineered to deliver a solution that integrates high-speed capability with greater stability in adverse weather conditions, including light snow.
The Extreme Contact has been designed for improved handling and braking performance, with a new, all-season compound fused into an asymmetric tread pattern using SPORT PLUS+ Technology.
Chamfered block edges enhance overall dry road grip and steering response.
Effective high angle and circumferential notches aid in water evacuation, resulting in greater aquaplaning resistance.
3D sipes increase wet traction by raising the number of biting edges, and X-Sipes boost horizontal and vertical grip in rainy weather.
5. Goodyear Eagle Touring: Grand Touring All-Season
Grand Touring All-Season tires are designed for motorists who seek a classy look, good handling, and H-speed certified durability. These tires also come with all-season traction, even in light snow.
Grand Touring O.E. All-Season tires are often acquired as replacements for worn-out sets of the original tires on your electric vehicle. They are available in most sizes, speed ratings, and load ranges to meet the performance category of the current O.E. tires.
You can use this online Tesla tire calculator to find how long any Tesla Model tire will last. You can also estimate the number of miles left on your current set and how many days you have until they need to be swapped out for new ones. If that is the case, you can also find the price for any set of Tesla tires by selecting the appropriate tires. Have fun!
EV Speedy’s Take
While these tires will work well with most electric cars, maintenance is key to improving their longevity. Here are a few tips to help.
- Check air pressure regularly and make any required adjustments.
- Wheel alignment is essential for reducing tire wear and must be tested every six months.
- Get a specialist to inspect your tires at least every six months to check for excessive wear and tear.
- Replace the spent tires with original models if feasible as they were intended for the demands of an electric car and created to match the model you’re driving.
Check out these 20 great gift ideas for yourself or a Tesla fanboy.
Contact Us if you have any questions or queries.