The Audi e-Tron is a series of all-electric SUVs manufactured by the brand with four rings. Since it’s a series of EVs, you may want to go for the model with the longest range and get the most out of your purchase. If that’s your priority, which Audi e-Tron model should you choose?
The Audi Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron has the longest range in the series. This Audi e-Tron covers up to 534 kilometers (331.81 miles) on a single charge. The SUV has a single electric motor that produces 150 kW (204hp) and accelerates from 0 to 100 km/s (62.14 m/s) in 8.5 seconds.
In the rest of this article, I’ll discuss why the Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron has the longest range in the series. I’ll also compare it with other vehicles in the e-Tron series so you can make a sound decision. Let’s get started!
Table Of Contents
- How the Q4 Sportback 40 Became the E-Tron With the Longest Range
- The Q4 Sportback 40 E-Tron Performance
- Comparing the Q4 Models
- Frequently Asked Questions
How the Q4 Sportback 40 Became the E-Tron With the Longest Range
Audi has been facing intense competition from Tesla. Tesla redesigned its EVs to be lighter, more efficient, and cover longer ranges on a single charge.
Audi embarked on face-lifting its e-Tron series models to remain competitive in the market. The focus of the update was to make these vehicles more power-efficient so they could:
- Cover longer ranges
- Have a high acceleration rate
- Achieve top speeds
“There will be a facelift for the E-Tron SUV and the E-Tron Sportback. They will be significantly upgraded with several technical updates that will further increase their competitiveness.”High-ranking Audi official
With these goals in mind, Audi engineers set to work and came up with the Audi Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron. This is a power-efficient car that weighs significantly less than its predecessors. As a result, it covers longer ranges on a single charge while still providing excellent performance.
The following are the specific modifications that made it possible for the Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron to cover such a long range:
Aero Wheels and Tires
Automotive aerodynamics involves the study of vehicle aerodynamics and how to minimize the drag and resistance a car faces as it moves. This is essential in EVs because they rely on battery power, so minimizing drag can help them cover longer ranges.
To this end, Audi engineers reduced the drag coefficient (Cd) of the Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron by designing new aero wheels and tires.
“Today, we are developing and designing intelligent aero wheels with maximum possible efficiency. After all, this greatly impacts the range of an electric vehicle.”Valencia Pollex, Audi’s wheel designer
These are some of the modifications that were made to reduce the drag coefficient and achieve the desired aerodynamics in this model’s wheels:
- Making the wheels flat: Making the wheels flat ensures that the air hitting the car diverts around the body without causing much turbulence that could minimize the power. The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron has 19-inch (0.48-meter) flat aero wheels that reduce power loss due to airflow. This resulted in a five-kilometer (3.11-mile) gain.
- Creating the closed wheel surfaces with plastic: Previous e-Tron models had closed wheel surfaces made from aluminum. However, it was realized that aluminum increases the wheel’s weight, which leads to more power consumption. Therefore, the Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron team decided to use plastic, which is lighter but just as strong and durable. This change kept the wheel’s weight down, minimizing air drag.
- Reducing the gaps between the wheel rim and body: The gap between the wheel rim and body impacts airflow and, as a result, the car’s aerodynamics. A smaller gap results in less air turbulence and drag, which is why the Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron has reduced this gap.
- Aluminium spokes in the wheels: For high stability, most e-Tron series models have five aluminum spokes in their wheels. However, this increases the wheel’s weight, affecting its aerodynamics. That’s why the Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron engineers created a lightweight double-spoke design while maintaining structural integrity and strength.
Battery capacity comes into play when designing an electric vehicle, as it determines how long the car can cover on a single charge. It’s essential to have a large battery capacity if the goal is to create an EV with a long range.
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron has an 82 kWh battery pack that gives it excellent range capabilities. This is an upgrade from the previous model’s 55 kWh battery pack.
But that’s not the only thing that lets this model have a high battery capacity:
- Thermal management system: The thermal management system is responsible for keeping the battery pack at an optimal temperature (30°C or 86°F), which helps increase its lifespan and performance. The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron system uses a liquid cooling system with a chiller to keep the batteries at a consistent temperature, even when they are being charged or discharged.
- Heat pump cooling: The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron also has a heat pump, a device that uses less energy to move heat from one place to another. This system helps reduce the amount of power needed to keep the battery pack at its optimal temperature, increasing the car’s range.
The motor is responsible for converting the electrical energy from the batteries into mechanical energy, which powers the vehicle. Naturally, a powerful motor is essential for a longer range in any electric car.
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron has a single but powerful 150 kW motor that generates 204hp. This motor accelerates the car from 0 to 100 km/s (62.14 m/s) in 8.5 seconds.
The modifications below increase this version’s motor capabilities:
- Using a high-efficiency motor: The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron uses a high-efficiency electric motor that reduces energy loss during the conversion process. This leaves more energy for extending the car’s range.
- Reducing friction: The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron team also reduced the friction in the motor to further improve its efficiency. This was done using special lubricants and coatings on the motor’s moving parts.
Torque is a measure of the force the motor can generate to move the car. It indicates the force the motor subjects to the drive shaft in newton meters (Nm). In electric vehicles, engine power is measured by a combination of torque revolutions per minute (rpm). In other words: high torque is necessary for a powerful and efficient motor.
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron has a maximum torque of 310 Nm, which allows it to accelerate quickly and smoothly.
The high torque increases the engine’s power. This means the vehicle can move faster, which in turn improves the car’s range. Covering a longer distance in a short time means the car can save energy and, as a result, cover extra range.
The Q4 Sportback 40 E-Tron Performance
When it comes to cars, performance entails the following:
- Top speed
- Cornering and braking
- Overall driving experience
The above features are used to classify cars as either standard or high-performance. Let’s take a look at the Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron’s performance according to them.
Acceleration determines the car’s rate of change in velocity per unit time. The higher the velocity, the faster the car can go from 0 to 100 km/s (62.14 m/s).
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron’s acceleration is 11.76 km/s (7.31 m/s), which means it can go from 0 to 100 km/s (62.14 m/s) in 8.5 seconds. This makes it one of the fastest Audi e-Tron cars.
It’s worth noting that speed is different from acceleration. While speed refers to the distance covered in a given time, acceleration is the rate of change in velocity. In other words, acceleration is the rate at which the car’s speed changes.
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron has a top speed of 160 km/h (99.42 m/h). This means that if this car’s horsepower is maintained at the maximum, it can achieve a top speed of 160 km/h (99.42 m/h).
It’s worth noting that most cars don’t attain their top speeds due to the following:
- Limited horsepower
- Engine control computers that protect the engine from damage
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron’s top speed is quite impressive. It can reach high speeds quickly, thanks to its powerful motor.
Cornering and Braking
Cornering is the ability to change directions while driving. It’s a measure of how well a car can turn while maintaining its speed.
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron is a rear-wheel drive car with a tight turning circle. This makes it easy to maneuver, especially in tight spaces.
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron uses the standard regenerative braking system. This system uses the car’s kinetic energy to recharge the batteries when braking. The amount of kinetic energy converted into electrical energy depends on the driver’s braking habits.
The video below demonstrates how the regenerative braking system works on the Q4 e-Tron:
Overall Driving Experience
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron is the true definition of a high-performance car. It has a powerful motor that allows it to accelerate quickly and reach high speeds. The regenerative braking system ensures that the batteries are constantly being charged, which increases the car’s range.
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron is also a very comfortable car to drive. It has a spacious interior with plenty of legroom and headroom. The seats are very comfortable, and the car comes with all the latest features, such as a touchscreen infotainment system.
You don’t have to worry about the car’s indoor air quality. The car has a heat pump that circulates air throughout the cabin. It also has a filter that cleans the air before it enters the cabin.
Climate controls make this car more exciting. The car has conventional climate control switches and a smartphone app you can use to control its interior climate.
Finally, the car incorporates the Audi Drive Select feature, which allows the driver to select different modes for different driving conditions. The modes are:
- Comfort: It dampens the road feel by softening the suspensions and making the steering wheel less resistant. It also shifts transmission control and electronic throttle to lower RPMs for smooth inputs.
- Auto: This is a balanced setting that makes driving a breeze. It’s suitable for everyday driving.
- Dynamic: This is the sportiest setting. It firms up the suspensions, makes the steering more direct, and changes throttle mapping for a more immediate response.
- Individual: This is a versatile option that allows you to fine-tune the car’s performance to your liking.
The Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron is the perfect car for those who want a high-performance car with a long range. It’s comfortable, efficient, and packed with features.
Comparing the Q4 Models
Audi has three versions of the Q4 e-Tron series:
- Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron
- Q4 35 e-Tron
- Q4 50 e-Tron Quattro
Of all these versions, the Q4 Sportback 40 has the longest range. However, it’s not the model with the highest horsepower—the Q4 50 e-Tron Quattro has 299HP.
The Q4 50 version has a 460 Nm torque motor, which is less efficient than the one in the Q4 Sportback. This means the Q4 Sportback wins when it comes to range.
Here’s a table comparing these three models:
|Q4 35 e-Tron||Q4 Sportback 40 e-Tron||Q4 50 e-Tron Quattro|
|Top Speed||160 Km/h||160 Km/h||180 Km/h|
Table 1: Comparison of vehicles in the Audi’s Q4 e-Tron series
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Audi E-Tron Worth It?
The Audi e-Tron is worth it. It’s calm and comfortable. It has a long range and a state-of-the-art driving experience. You can customize the car to fit your desired driving experience.
How Long Do the Batteries Last in an Audi E-Tron?
Audi E-Tron batteries last between 300,000 and 400,000 miles (482,803 and 643,737 km). The regenerative braking system, efficient motor, and aerodynamic design help extend the batteries’ range.
If you found this article helpful, feel free to give us a thumbs up by sharing it on your social media platform of choice. You can also check out these 15 great gift ideas for yourself or a Tesla fanboy.
Contact Us if you have any questions or queries.